New ways to watch television with Android TV™
Only 15 years ago, a simple push-button cell phone seemed a technological marvel. Now it's hard to imagine a phone without smart functions. We’ve gotten used to having mini pocket computers with access to streaming services from virtually any part of the world. A simple cell phone seems completely useless and outdated in comparison.
The same thing has happened to TV sets. Regular television fails to satisfy customers' needs. We want to choose what we watch. And what’s more—how to watch it. Smart TV sets with Internet access are in higher demand than ever before.
Smartphones' hardware has evolved along with their software: better Android™ and iOS functions, more advanced screens, cameras, battery life, etc.. TV set manufacturers, on the other hand, have kept a strong focus on displays and image quality, while forgetting about software and features, which means that many of us have wonderful Full HD or 4K TV sets in our living rooms, but, without Internet access.
The Android TV Box is a big upgrade for your TV.
The good news is that you do not need to buy a new TV to enjoy smart TV functions. If you are satisfied with the image quality of your current one, there is a cheap way to get Internet access on it and watch your favorite content, no matter how old your TV is.
The Android TV set-top box is the solution. They cost around 3–5 times cheaper than your average smart TV.
Why use an Android TV Box?
Android TV does the same thing to TV sets as it does to smartphones, it transforms them into multifunctional devices with a plethora of useful features.
Here are only some of them:
Large selection of content
The Android TV Box gives access to YouTube, streaming services, and all kinds of entertainment. Then there’s the Google Play Store which offers over 7,000 games and apps. With it, you can connect to your pay-TV provider to watch your favorite channels, movies, and tv shows.
What Android TV can provide for any TV set:
- Download applications. On Google Play Store, you can download 7,000+ apps customized for a TV screen. Free YouTube, Pluto TV, Tubi, and other must-have Android TV Box apps.
- You can broadcast movies, games, and sports to a TV screen from other Android, iOS, Chromebook, Mac, and Windows devices with the help of the Chromecast built-in function.
- Play games! Android TV set-top boxes support Bluetooth and USB gamepads. You can enjoy not only simple puzzles but also games with high-quality graphics and plot, specifically designed for Android TV.
- If you’re asking yourself, ‘Can I control my Android Box with my phone’, the answer is yes, it's possible. Google Play and the Apple App Store have an Android TV Remote application, which allows you to control the set-top box with your smartphone.
Smart voice assistant
Unsure what to watch? Ask Google using voice commands. You can find a movie to any liking, learn more about your favorite celebrity, watch the weather forecast, and much more. No need to push buttons on the remote, instead, control the set-top box with your voice.
Customizable start screen
You can customize your start screen to how you like it. Set your favorite apps, movies, and series to appear on the start screen. Select the most recent episode to continue from the moment you watched last or quickly switch to another application or show.
Smart Home control hub
Create a perfect atmosphere for watching TV while staying comfy on your sofa. Google Assistant can control connected home devices, regulate indoor temperature and lighting, and work in tune with all other smart gadgets in your home.
Which set-top box should I choose?
All Android TV set-top boxes undergo strict Google certification and are way more reliable and productive than regular Android devices. This impacts the cost of the device: Android TV set-top boxes have more powerful hardware and their software is regularly updated, so they cost 60+ euros.
One particularly strong example of a high-quality Android TV set-top box is Nvidia Shield TV which is designed for gamers. Its latest version even comes with a gamepad. It has a nice design, intuitive controls, and content displayed without delays and lag. This kind of device would put you back around 210–220 euros.
We have a more reasonable option for you—MAG425A. This is the flagship device by Infomir—a European manufacturer of TV set-top boxes, which have all you need for comfortable TV viewing:
- Full HD and 4K support;
- HDR support, which provides good contrast and a pleasant image;
- High-speed Ethernet and Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5 GHz);
- Optional memory expansion via a MicroSD (up to 128 GB), HDD, SSD, or flash device; and keyboard and mouse connection;
- Special energy-saving mode to conserve the remote control battery power;
- All Android TV options, including Google Play Store, voice control, and Chromecast built-in.
Infomir also equips set-top boxes with original video players to access pay-TV operators' content.
The cost of a MAG425A set-top box is 65–86 euros
You can find more detailed set-top box characteristics and descriptions in the SwitchOnShop catalog.
*Google, Android, Google Play, YouTube and other marks are trademarks of Google LLC.